Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Music I enjoyed in 2010, part I

One of my favorite parts about the end of the year are the lists compiled of bests, favorites, and greats.  Particularly in music and movies, I love reading other people's lists because it means I get to find out what I missed.  I'll be posting my list of ten favorite albums and songs - two of each per day (possibly). So here's my contribution - hope it can provide some fresh tunes and thoughts!

10.  Surfer Blood - Astro Coast



Summer rotation, which meant it provided some nice cross-cultural vibes. The band understands their strengths: relatable, easy lyrics and catchy hooks.  The album doesn't really have a weak song - just nice and steady, flowing casually.  When I knew I was Hooked: Opening riff with the snare drum...



10. CMYK - James Blake

I don't really familiarize myself with much dubstep - in fact I don't even know if that's an appropriate genre title for this song, but Blake and this song is amazing.  I also don't know who he's sampling (they tell me it's 90's R&B and much more) but whoever it is, I like it...



9. Arcade Fire - The Suburbs



Moving much beyond their Springsteen phase of Neon Bible - an album that is one of my favorites - Arcade Fire find themselves once more to be an appropriate voice of the 21st century.  Their latest is not as prophetically ominous as its predecessor, but still carries a poignant, heartfelt, yet critical tone exposing the darker and suffocating side of middle class America.
When I knew I was trapped in the super structure: When I bought the album, listened to it on an ipod, and then blogged about it.


9. Black Keys - Everlasting Light

A nice opening track, borrowing from blues, soul/doo-wop, and even a choiresque echo in the background.  Auerbach's vocals are what make the song, as the falsetto is carried with confidence. 


No comments:

Post a Comment