Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Job Search: Day 28 (Approximately)

I remember someone telling me that money does not grow on trees.  Skepticism accounted for, I walked outside and found such a fact to be validated.  What they did not tell me, and what I should have realized by extending similar logic, is that jobs also do not grow on trees.  (However, if your situation is like my friend’s, Andrew Oberbroeckling who is now living in Hawaii harvesting coconuts, then jobs actually and literally do grow on trees.) 
I cannot exactly say to what degree – if at all – I have been discouraged during the process.  But it's definitely not as easy as I thought.  Maybe my expectations were too high.  Maybe I was too naïve to believe that I would be pushing employers back with a broomstick once they realized I had not only one but two majors, and let alone that they were in the oh-so-practical areas of Religious Studies and English Literature...
Hey advisor, Religious Studies is NOT a “goldmine” major.
Oh… you were being sarcastic when you said that… Ha I like jokes too.

This experience has been cool a reminder of how much God is in control, and how exciting it is to know that he’s the provider.  He’s never going to be surprised if I don’t get a certain job, he’s never going to give me a job and then say “Oh shoot, that wasn’t supposed to happen.”   I’m excited and encouraged to see what the next few days, months, even years have in store for me.  It’s going to be awesome to look back and see how God was working, even in little things like filling out applications, making phone calls, or sending emails.  He’s a faithful father. 
“Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone?”

No comments:

Post a Comment