Monday, October 10, 2011

I am breaking bad.



After hearing much hubbub and seeing “critically acclaimed this” and “critically acclaimed that” I decided to explore the television series Breaking Bad.   The reason I’m a little slow to catch on is that I’m not much of a television show guy.  I cannot make that weekly commitment, and too often shows leave me disappointed (i.e. The Simpsons, The Office, 24*, etc.)  It's quite a difficult thing to make a show good for an entire season, let alone to make a consistent show that is good from season to season.  (Looking at you Matt Groening)

*I watched seasons 5 and 6 of 24, great premise, but too gimmicky.  An over-reliance on the “bad-guy-is-really-working-for-a-badder-bad-guy” plot development made me feel strung along and stupid.  Advice to you Jack Bauer, the real bad guy in all of this: Satan.

And so I have recently finished the first season of Breaking Bad and I must say, I am impressed.  The plot follows chemistry teacher Walter White who is going through a midlife crisis in part due to the revelation that he has lung cancer, his career is stagnant, and he has lived passively for much of his life.   With finances in a rough spot and wanting to provide for his family after he is dead, Walt decides to start making meth with one of his former students turned drug dealer.  

So far the series falls upon the shoulders of actor Bryan Cranston (as Walter) who carries the responsibility with complete ease.  His acting provides the right amount of humor, emotion, vulnerability, angst, and bravado that keeps the viewer captivated and engaged.  At times the show falls into the pitfalls of sitcom gags and character stereotypes, but they do allow, at least momentarily, for a deeper depth and insight despite the shallow setup or plot lines. 

The show does a great job at being entertaining and I’ll admit that the only thing stopping me from making meth is that I’m not very good at chemistry.  Who knew science was so much fun and useful.

Favorite episode of season one: “Crazy Handful of Nothin’ “ – Great foreshadowed opening as well as one of the more intimate and endearing moments as Walt decides to do chemotherapy while lying in bed, cherishing the little things that reminds him of his wife. 

I’m quite excited to watch the rest of the series as I hear it only gets better.  I think I want to explore more television shows as well – two that are on my radar are Community and The Wire.  I also think (maybe… MAYBE) that television has a higher creative potential than movies.  I have yet to fully flesh out that theory, but more to come on that later… 

No comments:

Post a Comment