Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Valentine's Day

Inspired by the day of intrigue and romance here are some of romantic things - mostly media related.

Top three favorite all time love songs (and by that I mean the three most recent songs I could remember about love...) 

Higher and Higher by Jackie Wilson 


Stand By Me by Ben E. King


That's How Strong My Love Is by Otis Redding


Hmmm.  A lot of R&B.  We'll go with the other end of the spectrum - honorable mention: 


All these songs remind me of... (wait a bit and get past the credits)


So transitioning from songs, a few friends and I went to Des Moines for a non-committal, Valentine's Day celebration:

Some roses.

Hey good lookin.

At restaurant Americana, in the city of romance. Or what some call Des Moines. 


I tried out my go-to date night questions, a few ice-breakers and get-to-know-you's:

1. What's your favorite color (not racist)?
2. On a scale of 9 to 10, how attractive am I?
3.  You smell
4.  Good.
5. When we have our second son, what will his middle name be?
6. Guess my favorite number?
7. What famous, non-Asian person do I remind you of?
8. Do you enjoy Mexican food?
9.  If you were a pancake how fast would you eat yourself?
10. What are your thoughts on cannibalism? 
11. If you could go back in time and assassinate any famous person, who would it be?
12. Describe your whole entire existence in one word.
13. If you could get rid of one letter in the alphabet, which one would it be?
14. As of now how would you grade this date?
15. What needs improvement?

And here's how the night ended...

I'll butter your bread!
And here is the opening scene from one of my favorite (romantic) movies:


Finally, my favorite romantic poem, feel free to steal this one too.  She's dead so she can't do anything about it.  Public domain!

How Do I Love Thee (Sonnet 43) by Elizabeth Browning

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends on being and ideal grace.
I love thee to the level of every day's
Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light.
I love thee freely, as men strive for right.
I love thee purely, as they turn from praise.
I love thee with the passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints. I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life; and if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death.

Happy Valentine's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment