Thursday, May 10, 2012

Things I Love

The Beatles are one of my favorite bands.  Their paradoxical ability to make simple yet complex* music always astounds me.  There is no greater example of this than the Medley found on side B of Abbey Road.  

(*I'm not sure if this is true since I know nothing about music.)

When asked what is my favorite Beatles' song I always cheat and choose the Medley, which is the epitome of classic Beatles' musicianship.  What makes the Beatles so brilliant is their individual efforts (mainly Paul and John in these set of songs) are quite unique and separate in and of themselves, yet collaborate themselves into the whole that also makes it uniquely a Beatles' song, as opposed to merely a John Lennon or Paul McCartney song.  

It's amazing.  The Medley showcases the skills and talents of all four Beatles.  John and Paul get the writing efforts, but George and Ringo make themselves known as well.  "The End" provides Ringo's one and only drum solo during his time with the band and George's guitar is always ever present.  (He does provide two great songs for the album, although neither are in the Medley).  A fitting swan song* for the Fab Four.  

*This was technically their last album recorded together, even though Let it Be was released a year later. 

Favorite song in the Medley: "Carry that Weight" 



No comments:

Post a Comment