Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Vegetarian no longer.

(Ingredients for some vegetarian chili)

My month as a vegetarian is complete.  About a week ago, I told the Adertons that on Christmas morning I would wake up and cook myself a pound of bacon.  And then I realized that would immediately defeat the reasoning and principles of the month preceding.   I did have bacon on Christmas morning, only thee slices.  My first meat in a month wasn’t exactly euphoric; it was not the walking-down-the-escalator-from-the-airport-terminal reunion as I had anticipated.  It was just seeing an old friend, catching up where we left off.

“Oh hey bacon, it’s been a while. “
‘Same to you Jake.  How’s it been?”
“Pretty good, just back for Christmas.”
“Yeah, merry Christmas.  You catch the Dallas game yesterday?”
“Yeah pretty disappointing.”
“Hey Jake?”
“Yeah?”
“Can I ask you a question?”
“Yes bacon, you can ask me a question.”
“Do you uh, do you still like me?’
“Yeah bacon.  I do.”
“Good.  I like you too.”
(Bacon can’t really talk)

Here’s a quick overview of the month – goals, expectations, surprises and the whatnot.

1.     It was a lot easier to do than I expected.
2.     My cooking habits did not change as dramatically as I hoped – I did make some new things, and variations of old things.  I learned however, that my cooking is more dictated by time, money, and motivation rather than by diet.
3.     I never did get a regular poop cycle going.
4.     I only lost five pounds, which was my biggest reservation – I can’t afford to lose weight, for various reasons…  (most important being: wardrobe)
5.     It was really fun to talk to people about it, you find out how important food is to everyone. 
6.     Which also showed me how ridiculous the amount of time I spend thinking about food.  It’s a lot.  I get pretty excited about food. 
7.     I like fruits more than I like vegetables.
8.     I don’t “get” celery.
9.     I think I only ate out twice, and saved some cash.  Restaurants (especially fast food) like meats.
10.  Hopefully the past month will permanently diversify my eating habits.  We shall see.

I would definitely recommend being a month-long vegetarian to anyone.  It may change your life, it may not.  But it's interesting.  

A video about food and being healthy.  And diabetes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment