Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Unceasing Worship


I found out about this book via Michael Butterworth when I was in Turkey.  The subtitle states: Biblical perspectives on worship and the arts.   Immediately I was intrigued.  I'm big on "art" and creativity as a way to worship and glorify God and Best articulates thoughts I've always felt but have been unable to shape into words, and he also has challenged me in the way that I interpret and create art.  Not only does his subject matter intrigue me, but the book is also really well written.  I got it for Christmas and am half way through, and it may be the best book-about-Jesus-that's-not-the-Bible I've read since Bonhoeffer's The Cost of Discipleship.  Definitely recommend both.

"I have no doubt that the deeper we go into the unseen things of faith, hope and love, the more we will revel in the temporal stuff of life, the intertwining of divine and human handiwork, the sights and sounds of earth and art.  Christians should be as delighted in the things of sight and sense as God is himself, when at the instant of every creational act, he declares goodness to be observable, enjoyable and usable.  Of all people, Christians should have the best noses, the best eyes and ears, the most open joy, the widest sense of delight.  That the opposite is often the case is no fault of the Lord's.  How interesting that God, in correcting the ruminations of Job and his three advisers, turned to his work as Imaginer and Maker rather than to his holiness."  - Harold Best, Unceasing Worship

No comments:

Post a Comment