Sunday, June 24, 2012

Call me. Maybe.


This song has been my head for the past couple of weeks.  Not my typical taste, but it's super catchy, and brings out the teen age girl within me.  Here is a verse-by-verse commentary. 

I threw a wish in the well,
Don't ask me, I'll never tell
I looked to you as it fell,
and now you're in my way

First, I don’t think you throw wishes into wells.  But I’m probably being too demanding on her lyrical imagery. 
Second, good move on not telling, because we know wishes don’t come true otherwise.  But, I’m pretty sure you’re going to tell us anyways.

I trade my soul for a wish,
pennies and dimes for a kiss
I wasn't looking for this,
but now you're in my way

Is she trying to say that her soul is worth pennies and dimes?  Or maybe she’s trying to say what she is really wishing for is change!  That’s actually pretty good.  And I’m not really sure what she is ‘looking for,’ or what exactly ‘this’ but I’m thinking sight and the act of seeing is a pretty heavy theme.

Your stare was holdin',
Ripped jeans, skin was showin'
Hot night, wind was blowin'
Where you think you're going, baby?

She's still trying to figure out the whole 'looking' thing, regardless, this guy won’t lose any staring contests.  Good for him, women are attracted to winners.
When I was younger my mom would cut up my denim jeans and make them into jean shorts.  I thought at the time she was just trying to be frugal, but I guess she was actually trying to find me a woman.  Thanks mom!

Hey, I just met you,
and this is crazy,
but here's my number,
so call me, maybe?

Crazy?  She almost sounds apologetic.  You know who wasn’t apologetic?   Beyonce.  Embrace the love. 
For the longest time I wasn’t sure if there was a comma in that last line.  I was hoping this song was a metaphysical treatise on identity and assertiveness.

It's hard to look right,
at you baby,
but here's my number,
so call me, maybe?

I can totally relate.  This is why I don’t have mirrors in my house.  And this is also why I squint a lot.

And all the other boys,
try to chase me,
but here's my number,
so call me, maybe?

She’s the one doing the pursuing.  Nice.  A girl that knows what she wants.  At some point Daniel Day Lewis is going to get tired and give up. 

You took your time with the call,
I took no time with the fall
You gave me nothing at all,
but still, you're in my way

Patience is indeed a virtue.  Playing hard to get, smart move.  Or he just lost the number. 
These are probably the saddest lines in the whole song.  But it is better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all…

I beg, and borrow and steal
At first sight and it's real
I didn't know I would feel it,
but it's in my way

Moral of the story: blind people can’t fall in love, but poor people can. Sorry Stevie Wonder.  You're blind and you're rich.  But keep believing

Before you came into my life
I missed you so bad
I missed you so bad
I missed you so, so bad

Before you came into my life
I missed you so bad
And you should know that
I missed you so, so bad

This is a perfect example of so stupid, it’s smart.  Essentially, love is timeless.  Love does not stick to a linear nor logical progression and why should it?  Profound, deep, and a little bit dyslexic, it’s why this song is so amazing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment