Monday, June 18, 2012

The Weekend Review in Sports

What did this weekend in sports tell me about my life? A lot.


The U.S. Open – Who doesn’t love the climactic, tension heavy, engaging purity and intensity of golf? At work we are doing a fantasy golf league for each of the four majors. Pick three golfers, and the one with the best cumulative score wins. There is money involved. Not to say I wouldn’t be enthralled with golf otherwise, but gambling definitely makes sports much more interesting. If I need not be a good steward, I would gamble so much. But it’s not gambling if you’re certain you’ll win. Which I did. Here were my golfers: Jason Dufner, Matt Kuchar, Rickie Fowler.

Golf is more interesting when you gamble because the old adage is true: where your money is, your heart will be also.


The Chicago Cubs and the Boston Red Sox – Last night I watched the final two innings of the Cubs-Red Sox game, and realized that I have yet to watch a complete Cubs’ game this season. I’m becoming one of those apathetic-bandwagon fans. Ugh. But it’s not entirely my fault, right? They’re literally the worst team in baseball right now. The bottom of the ninth was indicative of their season, of my life and expectations as a Cubs’ fan. Cubs losing 3 to 7, and then get three straight men on base providing a meaningless, irrelevant sliver of optimism. They then proceed to play into three straight outs, scoring only once on a sac-fly losing 7 to 4.

This season will ultimately prove my where loyalty lies. Trials produce perseverance, and refine the true genuineness of faith and fandom.



The NBA Finals – My faith in Lebron James and the Miami Heat is quite fickle. Multiple times during a game I will sink my head into my hands and mutter, ‘Oh my gosh it’s over.’ In large part my doubt stems from the counterpart superstars. The intensity of Russell Westbrook reminds me of a 2006-Dwyane Wade. And every single time Kevin Durant has the basketball there is no doubt in my mind that he will score. Some times I even believe that the basketball gods – admiring the sheer beauty of his shots – will rewrite the rules and reward each basket its own point value. In all, I just want to witness greatness. Lebron James is like nothing we have ever seen in a basketball player. It would echo the curse of Achilles if this basketball man warrior would fail to reach echelon of success.

People want to see Lebron fulfill his natural gifting and talent. We all know that such a calling is irrevocable. The spiritual gift of basketball should not be wasted.



Dale Earnhardt Jr. Wins – Born and bred into a NASCAR loving family. Although I’m very much a casual fan of the sport. (yes, sport, indeed) I will always have a heart for NASCAR. True American. Here was my seven-year-old hierarchy: God, family, Dale Earnhardt, Garth Brooks. After Earnhardt died, his son, Jr. inherited all of his father’s fans and expectations. The burden of both have proved difficult to live up to – so it’s nice to see him in the winner’s circle once more.

We can only do what we see our father doing. – Happy Father’s Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment